Monday, July 8, 2013

My Multiple Dog Personality: Part 1


I feel so fortunate to be able to spend time with animals and integrate them with my work.  Furthermore, my dog walking and pet sitting experiences have led me to think more about my close relationships with dogs.

For more than 13 years, my partner Michael and I have been parents to two female Shih Tzus.  And before this, we shared our lives with another female Shih Tzu.  One would conclude based upon our history of pet ownership that we are partial to small dog breeds, females and specifically, Shih Tzus.  But this conclusion is only partially true.

For many years (and continuing to the present day), I have harbored a strong desire to parent a larger breed dog.  These feelings intensify when I see a pet owner with their Great Dane, Weimaraner or Vizsla (to name only a few of my favorite breeds).

Recently, I have sought to understand the underlying reasons for my feelings.  One relates to the regal appearance and magnificent form of larger breed dogs.  They are handsome, stand tall and seem to convey self-assuredness.  Of course, sometimes the opposite is true.  For example, many of the Great Danes I’ve met are much closer to big sweet kids that prefer to trot along the side of their parents.  They also lumber along, a little uncomfortable in their own large bodies.  And if they have smaller dogs for siblings, their brother or sister often assumes the alpha dog position.  With regard to Weimaraners and Vizslas, I find their physical beauty is enhanced by their startling eyes and the intense gaze they’re able to maintain.  They seem to convey the message. “You can’t fool me.  I know what’s going on.  I see and hear everything that’s happening.”

Another reason for my large breed appeal is they figure prominently into my wish to have a male dog “buddy”.  This is a “guy’s dog” who would sit next to me on the sofa and watch television as I eat munchies (of course, I’d also give him some healthy treats to be perfectly fair), ride next to me in my pickup truck* (if I were to own one) as we travel on adventures together or simply go to the dog park and play catch with me.  In other words, I think it would be awesome to have a four-legged guy around with whom I can do stuff.

Check back in a few days to learn more about my multiple dog personality; my inner psychic life as Dad to a big dog rubbing up against the reality of my holding toy dogs in my lap as I shower them with hugs and kisses.  “It’s okay Doctor!  I don’t believe my condition is serious.”

*Please note that it is not safe to travel with your dog sitting next to you in a moving vehicle.  Should you become involved in an accident, great physical harm and possibly death could occur.  Always secure your four-legged loved ones in the rear seat using a dog restraint device (e.g., special pet seat belt, harness, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment